Saturday, March 19, 2011

Diversity Training

I practice law during the day (and sometimes at night). As an employment lawyer, sometimes I conduct "diversity training" for employers.  In employment law parlance this means "training for the purpose of increasing participants' cultural awareness, knowledge, and skills, which is based on the assumption that the training will benefit an organization..."

The is another type of "diversity training" -- one that will benefit your organism.  It entails mixing up your workouts and constantly incorporating challenging physical movements, different activities, and even new sports.

This morning I woke up and went in search of more diversity training from one of my favorite "mentors," big wave surfer Laird Hamilton (LH).  I do not know the man and could not surf a wave in a toddler wave pool if you paid me, but by watching and listening to LH I have learned a ton.  Sure enough, this morning on the web I found videos of LH and his buddies performing a variety of moves -- many of which I will now adopt and incorporate into my own training (I was also very surprised that record mogul Rick Rubin trains, let alone is so fit). 

Here is an "introductory" video.  There are links to more at the end of the video.  Enjoy:  http://www.lairdhamilton.com/readblog.aspx?id=329

I haven't lifted a thing or run an inch this morning but I already feel mentally stronger and fitter knowing I can incorporate some dynamic new moves into my training.  I am also very motivated to get at it.  Who knew diversity training was so easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment