Sunday, April 3, 2011

Night Training

I like to train at night without a headlamp. It gets me in touch with more primal thoughts and feelings; it also helps to keep me light on my feet and more aware of my surroundings because I need to have an acute feel for the ground -- stepping lightly, with a slightly higher cadence relative to speed, and with the flexibility to roll over uneven terrain. 

Last night I went out for 88 minutes and had a rewarding experience.  It was quiet and the vibes were very calming.  I again realized that the darkness of the night is nothing to fear, but a really neat alternative to the "normal" life that most of us lead -- available to us every single day (i.e. night).

Many people fear being alone and in the wilderness at night, just as they fear death (even many of those that claim that they are positive they will be sent to everlasting joy in heaven with all their friends and family for some unexplained reason fear death).   Although most of my night training is a relative hop, skip, and a jump from "civilization," every time I am out there in the dark I feel more accepting and less afraid of what is "out there" and next for me.

You know the day destroys the night
Night divides the day
Tried to run
Tried to hide
Break on through to the other side
Break on through to the other side
Break on through to the other side, yeah

Jim Morrison






 

No comments:

Post a Comment